LOVE LINGERS HERE: INTIMATE ENDURING RELATIONSHIPS XV. PLATE TWO: BEING A BREADWINNER (PRODUCING SOCIO-ECONOMIC VIABILITY/CAREERS)
KEY POINTS ABOUT PLATE TWO: PRODUCING SOCIO-ECONOMIC VIABILITY / CAREERS
• Accept that an intimate relationship requires some restrictions in social interactions.
• Give considerable attention to issues of income and allocation of funds.
• Combat tension and rifts over marker events in this plate, particularly when a marker event is shared between two developmental plates (like purchasing a home).
• See their relationship as “in process,” an on-going series of events that continuously defines and redefines itself.
• Allow their partner to shift basic values and find a way to blend in new values to their daily functioning.
• Reduce the force of conflict about money or career by a conscious review of the problem, willingness to accept, use of humor, and a strong desire -to remain in the relationship.